Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 22:44:01 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
> Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 21:24:38 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> So, I have the right dependencies installed on my build machine, but
> >> haven't packaged them up correctly.
> >
> > The DLLs should be on PATH.  It is not enough to have them in the same
> > directory as the executable.
>
> This is not correct. In fact, the application's directory is the first
> place where the dll is searched, unless the application explicitly
> changes the search strategy.

The original message to which I was replying wasn't talking about the
DLLs in the same directory as Emacs, it was talking about MinGW64 DLLs
that are outside of that directory.

> > I suggest to put as.exe on PATH.
>
> This would be problematic. In general, applications that put things on
> PATH (or modify PATH in general) are frowned upon by many power users,
> for good reasons.

Do you have any alternative suggestion that won't be frowned upon?
Then please describe it.

In general, as.exe is part of Binutils, and as such, is installed in
$exec_prefix/bin.  It is not an auxiliary program installed in
$exec_prefix/libexec.  So IMO putting it on PATH is exactly TRT.

And if you think Emacs shouldn't put things on PATH, then what should
we do with what we already put there (runemacs.exe, emacsclient.exe,
addpm.exe, etags.exe, and a few others)?