Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 20:27:00 +0000

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> From: Andrea Corallo <akrl@sdf.org>
>>> Cc: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>>> Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2021 20:26:54 +0000
>>>
>>> Last question: shall we remove also the emacs version or only the
>>> triplet?
>>
>> I think both, but if you can describe a situation where the user may
>> want to know the version to which the file belongs, let's discuss it.
>

> At the moment, .eln-cache is going to just pile up in size, no, even for
> normal users over versions. So, I guess the version number is useful to
> know which is oldest.

I pushed two commits to diet down the hashes and remove the triplet from
eln filenames, now looking like the following:

~/.emacs.d/eln-cache/28.0.50-a45dccd2/advice-791b3e89-08434428.eln

Thinking about I agree having the version there is still helpful so I
letf it for now, anyway I've no strong feeling against removing it if
Eli prefers.

Thanks

  Andrea