Re: [External] : Re: POLL: make C-x o transient

From: chad
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: POLL: make C-x o transient
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2021 12:38:14 -0800

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 9:51 PM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

The more different keys have a special meaning after a repeating
command, the more they will get in the way.  The more things there
will be to worry about.

This sounds like a potential case of a general impression conflicting with specific experience.

What would I want to do after switching windows?  Insert a period or a
comma, perhaps.  Why wouldn't it be that?

You can look at your own usage after C-x o (even more telling for people who aren't using the mouse or mostly dedicated frames) with view-lossage or via  dribble file, but for me, the answer is "because the cursor is hardly ever in the right spot", even though I do use save-place. I would hazard a guess that wanting to immediately insert a period or comma is roughly the same order of commonality as wanting to insert an 'o' (or 'O').

For me, the more interesting transient-repeat opportunity is C-x ^ for enlarge-window, which I nearly always followed with cursor movement, recentering, or scrolling commands (and never with period, comma, or caret), but that's from a relatively small sample, because I've been using a custom function to adjust window sizes for the past 20 years or so.

Hope that helps,
~Chad