Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2021 22:21:37 +0000

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:
>
>>> Maybe your dependency list would benefit from some review. Just show it.
>>
>> I notice that it's missing gmp which I think it should have although
>> it's gets it transitively. On native-comp this also needs:
>
> gmp is a dependency of gcc-libs, and gcc-libs is a dependency of almost
> every other package that contains binary executable code.
>
>> mingw-w64-x86_64-libgccjit
>
> That depends on gcc, and MSYS2 gcc includes C++ plus quite a few package
> dependencies. No wonder that the final result uses so much disk space.

Yes, just so. In fact it was a problem with my earlier dependency
schemes. It's fairly hard to avoid pulling in GCC. I have just been
ignoring it.

>> I was thinking of doing it the other way up. We install Emacs as now
>> (either unzipping or using the installer). Then, Emacs runs, detects the
>> first run and says "do you want to install msys2 also". If it does, then
>> away we go, otherwise, we leave as is -- an editor rather than a pilot
>> of multiple tools.
>
> One caveat with this approach is that you can end (you *will* end) with
> two copies of the same dependencies on two places, for the dependencies
> that you put on Emacs' zip distribution.

Well, that depends. If I repackage emacs to look like

emacs-27/msys2/mingw64/bin/runemacs.exe (and all the rest)

then unpacking msys2 over the top of this using their self-extracting
file would mean that Emacs ends up exactly in place. But, yes,
alternatively, there would be two copies.

>> My original though was to bundle this into the install, but having done
>> a little bit of picking, I think a better solution would be to have the
>> first run of Emacs install a package from ELPA, which would actually do
>> the msys install.
>
> This is easier said than done :-)

Why? I think the code for an unattended install is actually in the
.github actions for msys2.

An alternative would be to just stick a bash script onto the FTP site,
and tell people "install msys2 then run this". This is not such a bad
option.

https://github.com/phillord/MINGW-packages/tree/feature/mingw64-git/mingw-w64-git

>> Are you interested in helping with something along these lines? I have
>> only so much time to give to Emacs and it will take me sometime to get
>> any of this done. If so, we can write up a slightly more detailed plan.
>
> I can help with the MSYS2/MinGW-w64 part asking questions, dealing with
> the MSYS2 maintainers and other short-term tasks. It would be
> disingenuous from me to offer my assistance for implementing those
> elaborated plans you have, but I will take a look at wathever you send
> to me or publish here.

Thank you.

Phil