Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2021 00:38:16 +0100

Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

>>> My original though was to bundle this into the install, but having done
>>> a little bit of picking, I think a better solution would be to have the
>>> first run of Emacs install a package from ELPA, which would actually do
>>> the msys install.
>>
>> This is easier said than done :-)
>
> Why? I think the code for an unattended install is actually in the
> .github actions for msys2.

The hard part is not to install MSYS2, is to manage the install action
from Emacs. Ask the user, remember his decision, provide a mechanism in
case he changes his mind, detect and use existing installs, decide where
to install... and more.

> An alternative would be to just stick a bash script onto the FTP site,
> and tell people "install msys2 then run this". This is not such a bad
> option.

That's along the lines of what I described on a previous message,
although I went to the extreme of suggesting to provide Emacs as a
pacman package.

Do you know that a pacman package contains a functional install? That
means that once you have the MSYS2 binary package, by simply
uncompressing it, adding the required dlls to mingw64/bin and zipping
the contents of the mingw64 directory, you have your .zip distribution.

>>> And some critical things, like git which is not available as a mingw64
>>> package; I have knocked together an mingw package for it; I have no idea
>>> whether the msys2 maintainers would be interested in it.
>>
>> Do you have a PKGBUILD? Send me a copy and I'll look at it.
>
> https://github.com/phillord/MINGW-packages/tree/feature/mingw64-git/mingw-w64-git

That lacks SSL/SSH and Perl dependencies for the commands that still
depend on it.

After looking at

https://github.com/msys2/MSYS2-packages/blob/master/git/PKGBUILD

I was expecting a more complex procedure.

If something as simple as this works, great. Otherwise, another
possibility is to install MSYS2 git (the POSIX package) and tell the
users to set vc-git-program / magit-git-executable, suppossing that it
works. It is slower than the native port, though.