Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Repurpose one key and reserve it for third-party packages
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 01:20:27 -0600

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > Option 1. C-z, with a single exception: "C-z C-z" would be bound to
>   > "suspend-frame"
>
> I think that these changes for C-z, M-z and C-o would be a big pain in
> the neck.

Indeed.

(But I personally still maintain that `C-z' should just be changed to
`undo'.)

> However, it would be possible to make M-z M-ANYTHING available for
> other bindings and reserve them for whatever we wish.  That would not
> conflict with the current meaning of M-z, because meta characters
> can't be in the buffer.

Wouldn't it be strange to first be queried for "Zap up to char: " and
then be expected to type another key to run some command from a
third-party package?

> The binding of M-m is less useful than many other keys.
> Perhaps it could be given to some other use.

Your mileage may vary, but I use `M-m' tens or hundreds of time per day.

Of the global M-bindings, `M-o' seems least useful to me.