Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 16:04:12 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Would it make sense to store that info in the plist of the function's
> symbol?

That was my initial idea, but it would lead to this stuff in the .elc
files:

(byte-code "......." [function-put foo-command command-modes '(foo-mode)] 4)

And since more than 90% of the commands will eventually get this sort of
annotation (I didn't actually count), that seemed kinda inefficient.

Stashing it in the interactive spec slot of the byte code leads to a lot
less .elc code...

The byte-code format gets slightly incompatible, though, so that's the
drawback.  But we don't usually worry too much about that, so...