Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 22:08:45 +0100

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

>>> Please note that it is important to be able to filter out commands that
>>> belong to inactive minor modes.
>>
>> That would be nice, but I'm not quite sure what that'd look like.
>
> When M-x is invoked, is it possible to build a list of active modes
> (major and minor, including parent modes) and, for each command, check
> if its declared mode in on that list?

Yes, I was thinking more about what it'd look like as markup.

We now have

(defun foo2 (arg)
  (command c-mode "p")
  (message "%s 2" arg))

to mark a function as belonging in c-mode.  What would minor-mode markup
look like?  A `declare' form?  Or just put the minor mode name into the
major-mode slot?  Given a symbol, is there a quick way to determine
whether that's a major or a minor mode?

I'm just asking; I haven't actually thought about minor modes at all.  :-)