Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 20:52:20 +0000

Andrea Corallo via "Emacs development discussions."
<emacs-devel@gnu.org> writes:

>> IIUC each trampoline gets its own .eln file, right?
>> If so, if we decide to prebuild all trampolines (and to keep not
>> sharing their code) we should likely build a single .eln file containing
>> them all.
>
> That's a good solution.  It should also cut the compilation time that is
> ATM mostly startup time.
>
> OTOH I realized the reason of the 45K, trampolines are not optimized ATM
> so GCC does not prune unused functions.  I'll modify to have them
> compiled at least at O1 and follow-up on the corresponding footprint.

Okay compiling at -O1 makes each trampoline on my system 17K, so ~25M in
total for all ~1500 primitives.

The compilation time is almost the same, therfore I've set it as default
for trampolines.

If we want to go further into saving space Stefan's suggestion (the
single eln containing all trampolines) has to be implemented.

  Andrea