Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [feature/native-comp] breakage on build
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2021 09:28:16 +0200

> From: Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk>
> Cc: akrl--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,  Eli
>  Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2021 21:07:40 +0000
>
> At this rate, though, I fear that I am moving back to shipping half
> of msys.

If it comes close to that, my suggestion would be to separate the
parts required for JIT native compilation into a separate zip.  Then
people who already have the development environment installed will not
need to download a huge distribution full of stuff they already have,
and others will have a choice of deciding whether the ability to
natively-compile Lisp files not included in the tarball is worth the
hassle of downloading a large distribution.

The need to have all these tools handy is indeed the main disadvantage
of native-compilation implementation that uses a JIT compiler.  So it
comes as no surprise to me that we bump into these difficulties.