Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 22:43:45 +0200

> From: Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 03:32:52 +0700
> Cc: Matt Armstrong <matt@rfc20.org>, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
> <larsi@gnus.org>, "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>,
>       Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>,
>       Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> > > Not really. In a fresh ‘emacs -Q’, when I press ‘C-x ?’, I get a help
> > > buffer that has three logical pages and is 10.5 screenfuls long.
> >
> > Yes, and that's bad because...?
>
> I’m ranting about a particular kind of discovery here, where you
> progressively choose among a small number of possibilities. When
> looking for C-x v d, I don’t need to know about 100+ characters I can
> enter via C-x 8.

Of course, you do: you typed "C-x", not "C-x v", so who knows what you
are looking for.

How did you know to type "C-x" anyway? why not "M-x" or "C-c"?

> In progressive discovery, those would be collapsed to a “C-x 8:
> insert special characters” and “C-x C-k: keyboard macros”.

Progressive discovery in Emacs begins with "M-x apropos", not with
"C-x".

> > But there's that "[back]" button at the end of the help text...
>
> Yes, and getting to that requires either knowing that it’s there, or
> scrolling through the whole list.

If you actually _read_ the text that's presented to you, you _will_
get to the end.

> The GTK menu only lets me select items with the mouse or arrow keys.

Then it's a problem with GTK.  Consider using a different toolkit, or
report a bug against GTK.