Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 21:46:46 +0200

> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 21:55:40 +0300
> From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> Cc: ams@gnu.org, gregory@heytings.org, larsi@gnus.org,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Would then surprisingly C-o disappear without me ever knowing that it
> is `open-line' I would not be able in the new version of Emacs to just
> by using my memory bind it to `open-line' as I was not aware of the
> function `open-line' in the first place. In memory there is C-o but I
> would not know by memory what is the name of the function to bind it
> on the key.

If this ever happens, you should be able to find the information by
searching NEWS for "C-o".

So I think you are inventing a problem that doesn't exist.

> I hope that from this you understand the concept of remembering the
> functionality without remembering the literal names of a command.

I hope you now realize that changes in bindings like that are not
catastrophes, and you can easily resurrect whatever binding you fancy,
using NEWS and other means to find out the names of the commands you
never bothered to discover.

(Btw, does this mean you never use "C-h k" to read about the commands
you invoke?  Never, ever?  Because if you do, the name of the command
is spelled out there, on the very first lines of the *Help* display.)