Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 23:20:17 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2021-02-11 22:47]:
> (Btw, does this mean you never use "C-h k" to read about the commands
> you invoke?  Never, ever?  Because if you do, the name of the command
> is spelled out there, on the very first lines of the *Help*
> display.)

I use it very often, but I do not memorize names of functions bound to
keys. For example I used C-a so many times today but it is my first
time right now, during this writing to see that the function name is
literally `move-beginning-of-line'. I know that C-a moves cursor on
beginning of line but the name of function I never memorize. I know
what it does. That C-f moves cursor forward I know, but that function
is called `forward-char' I did not know it until now. If any of those
keys would suddenly disappear I would not be able to easily place 2
lines and set the commands on those keys.

If few essential keys would be removed that I use all the time, I
would most probably get lost or confused for reasons explained. Maybe
I would find it in NEWS, but I could as well doubt which key was where
due to muscle memories and not conscious memory or remembering of
literal function names on specific keys. Putting back keys where they
were would not be simple for me, far from simple, it would be complex
and if there would be many changed keys at once it would be a complete
disaster.

You said it is simple. Of course it is simple for you, as you are main
developer, you have different memorization of Emacs functions than
average user.

For the sake of users you should or could try understanding their way
of using Emacs and try looking from their own view points, not only
from your advanced view point.

Jean