Re: [External] : Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 09:54:06 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2021-02-11 09:18]:

> > > Facemenu commands make sense in most modes (nearly all?).
> >
> > Did you mean they don't make sense?
>
> No, I meant they make sense - you can use them
> to do what they do.

Let us say I am answering emails, there is mail-mode down, using M-o
to set bold face says font lock mode will override any faces you set
in this buffer. I do not find use of M-o in majority of modes. There
is use for centering of a line, but I can live without
it. Additionally I get many many of errors below.

Invalid face reference: mail-multiply-quoted-text-face [2 times]
Invalid face reference: mail-double-quoted-text-face [8 times]
Invalid face reference: mail-multiply-quoted-text-face [2 times]
Invalid face reference: mail-double-quoted-text-face [9 times]
Invalid face reference: mail-multiply-quoted-text-face [2 times]

I wish to understand how is that useful that face settings do work in
most of modes, but such cannot be saved in those same modes. Let us
say in fundamental mode, I can set bold on text, but what is the point
if I cannot save it as bold. Upon new opening of the file I do not see
any more my formatting.

How do you mean it that face settings are useful even if they cannot
be saved? Maybe for real time presentations?

Jean