Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 08:15:44 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2021-02-10 18:46]:
> > From: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>
> > Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 10:12:20 -0500
> > Cc: gregory@heytings.org, larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > Sorry, I atleast have a hard time taking these suggestion to remap
> > long standing keybindings randomly seriously, likewise suggestions
> > that users should just resort to M-x or binding them themselves.
>
> Can you explain why you are so worried about Emacs changing the
> default key bindings?  Given that it takes one line in your .emacs to
> restore any binding you care for, why argue so much about the
> defaults?
>
> This question also goes to everyone else in this long dispute who
> wants their precious key bindings preserved: why is such a long
> discussion needed when it is so easy to restore, in your init file, a
> binding you want preserved?

I do not even know literal names of commands run by some keys. And
some keys I am invoking while even knowing consciously what I am
doing. Some key commands I would not be able to tell somebody with
certainty without having keyboard in front of me. If I look at
keyboard I could also forget which command is doing what, so often I
will rather not look and just invoke it.

For me, a keyboard is extension part of my cyborg body, I think with
it, but not necessarily know all of its Emacs function names by memory.

When a key binding is missing I would not probably know what was it. I
would have a feeling something is missing but not necessarily remember
consciously what it would be.

It would be then hard to say which function to bind on which key.

Jean