Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2021 01:07:07 +0700

On Thu, 11 Feb 2021 at 23:58, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> That only works well if you can guess, up front, which top-level menu
> item has the command you are looking for.  Which is not easy, except
> for a few trivial operations, especially with very large and
> feature-rich programs like Emacs.  Traversing the entire menu
> structure looking for what you want is not my idea of good time, even
> though I have much more patience doing that than most newbies
> nowadays.

Yet, traversing a hierarchical structure, trying to guess the correct
path, is exactly what I tend to do when looking for something. If the
hierarchy maps well to my guesses, I find things quickly and am happy.
If I have to use search, I feel disappointed.

I am not alone in this. We are a subset of computer users. We are the
same people who want to click a building on the map rather than type a
company name into the search box. (My pet theory is that this
preference to {search|find icons|traverse hierarchies} correlates to
the {auditory|visual|kinaesthetic} learning modality.)