Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Experimentally unbind M-o on the trunk
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 21:55:40 +0300

* Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> [2021-02-11 17:05]:
> > Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 08:15:44 +0300
> > From: Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support>
> > Cc: "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org>, gregory@heytings.org,
> >   larsi@gnus.org, emacs-devel@gnu.org
> >
> > > This question also goes to everyone else in this long dispute who
> > > wants their precious key bindings preserved: why is such a long
> > > discussion needed when it is so easy to restore, in your init file, a
> > > binding you want preserved?
> >
> > I do not even know literal names of commands run by some keys.
>
> That's so easy to find out that I don't see how this factoid is of any
> relevance to the issue at hand.

For example I have used C-o so often in my life, daily, but only
recently from this mailing list found that it is bound to
`open-line'. I know what it does but I never called it "open line". I
hope that you get the concept. I have not been speaking about it or
telling anybody, I just know it intuitively. Probably I have learned
it in past and forgot consciously what I learned.

Would then surprisingly C-o disappear without me ever knowing that it
is `open-line' I would not be able in the new version of Emacs to just
by using my memory bind it to `open-line' as I was not aware of the
function `open-line' in the first place. In memory there is C-o but I
would not know by memory what is the name of the function to bind it
on the key.

In `mutt' email client there are similar commands bound to keys that I
use for many years. Similarly I would not know by memory which command
is bound to which key. I know T to tag messages but I do not know that
it's command is `tag-pattern' (I looked it up now just to know which
one it is).

For unbinding of the `M-o' I find it personally appropriate as it does
not have use globally. I think it works well only in the enriched
mode.

Unbinding C-z would give me problems if I would be surprised without
reading about it on this mailing list. So I feel that probably
thousands of users would be similarly surprised and they may not read
this mailing list. So I rather think that surprising changes impact
globally Emacs users. My personal use or adoption of new things in
Emacs I may consider sometimes easier than what global users would
consider.

I hope that from this you understand the concept of remembering the
functionality without remembering the literal names of a command.

Jean