Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 204, Issue 12

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
Subject: Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 204, Issue 12
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 07:31:03 +0100

Message: 15
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 20:03:01 +0100
From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Smarter M-x that filters on major-mode

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> Nobody uses M-x in an explorative way?
>
> IMO this is a bad idea for discoverability. What is (and what is not)
> relevant to a mode is necessarily subject to a judgement call by
> someone.
>
> Some thought needs to go into how give users a way to escape that
> confinement, I think.

I do use M-x in an explorative way all the time. I was the proponent of
the M-x filter when this was discussed a few years ago.

I don't want to see a zillion of irrelevant commands when I'm fishing
for interesting things on a given context.

This is about leaving out commands which only make sense when certain
minor or major mode is active. I can't see how this would hamper
learning by exploration.

There has to be a middle way... Sometimes. when I'm hacking on Emacs Lisp, I need to remember the exact
name of a function (for another major mode) and the unfiltered M-x is a nice way of doing that.

You know the approx name and

M-x <what you remember>-TAB

is a quick and convenient way of finding out... Although <f1>-f is an alternative, my fingers yearn for M-x.
Maybe I'll need to "reprogram them" ;-) but I'd better not

Best, /PA