Re: Require "this program is free software .... " notice to be preserved

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Require "this program is free software .... " notice to be preserved on the splash screen
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 10:45:47 +0200

> From: James Lu <jamtlu@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 01:04:31 -0500
> Cc: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
>
> In order to avoid another fiasco of the sort of the GNU/Linux controversy,
> where a variant of GNU software
> was called something else and disassociated from free software, I propose we
> exercise section 7.4 of
> GPLv3 to require "require preservation of specified reasonable legal notices
> or author attributions in that
> material or in the Appropriate Legal Notices displayed by works containing it"

Thanks for letting us know, but please take this discussion elsewhere,
either emacs-tangents@gnu.org or even gnu-misc-discuss.  This issue is
unrelated to the Emacs development, and will unnecessarily increase
the noise level on this list, which is dedicated to development of the
GNU Emacs project.

I urge anyone who wants to respond to please do it elsewhere.