Re: Require "this program is free software .... " notice to be preserved

From: Daniele Nicolodi
Subject: Re: Require "this program is free software .... " notice to be preserved on the splash screen
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 08:43:19 +0100

On 16/02/2021 06:19, Richard Stallman wrote:

>   > > In order to avoid another fiasco of the sort of the GNU/Linux
>   > > controversy, where a variant of GNU software was called something else
>   > > and disassociated from free software,
>   > To what do you refer exactly here? I don't recall anything like this
>   > ever happening, but your terse description may not help my memory.
>
> I think Lu was referring to the widespread misnomer of "Linux system"
> when referring to a variant of the GNU system which has Linux as the
> kernel.  See https://gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html and
> https://gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html.

I am well aware of this, but it is a very long stretch to describe this
as Lu did, especially the "disassociated from free software" part. I am
sure that in your long years of activism you very well understood that
one important thing in perusing a cause is to frame it precisely and
correctly.

Cheers,
Dan