Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 17:02:22 +0100

    >>Specifying the position/size of a new frame seems to work ok
    >> though.

...when using the XWayland backend.

    >> More generally, fixing this is not going to be trivial, as
    >> gtk_window_move under Wayland is designed to cause us grief:
    >>
    >> <https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=940916>

    Eli> If this is the Wayland protocol, then users of Wayland will expect
    Eli> that, and we don't have to solve this problem.  Right?

I guess, although be prepared for a bunch of "desktop.el is broken"
bug reports, along with "my workflow with (make-frame '((top . 50)
(left . 50))) or (set-frame-position) doesnʼt work any more"
complaints as Wayland becomes more widespread.

(there is a 'session-manager' in GTK that you can allegedly use to
save and restore frame positions and sizes, but I canʼt find much
documentation about it. I suspect it would still fall foul of
Wayland's "there is no global coordinate system" mantra)

Robert