Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 10:48:13 +0100

    >> Hmm, specifying *initial* frame sizes and positions seems to work, but
    >> only if done early enough, such as by setting 'default-frame-alist' in
    >> early-init.el. I guess worst case we can destroy frames and recreate
    >> them instead of moving them. Someone (Martin?) suggested creating an
    >> invisible max-size top-level frame that we could use as the parent for
    >> all other frames on pgtk, since pgtk does allow us to move and resize
    >> child-frames. I donʼt know if thatʼs actually possible.

    Eli> If it's feasible to fix these issues, we should try doing that, so
    Eli> that Emacs behaves the same as with other toolkits; controlling the
    Eli> position and geometry of a frame is pretty important, I think.

    Eli> But if it turns out infeasible to do that on Wayland, we should
    Eli> document that fact and move on.

It turns out to be worse than I thought: the pgtk build has problems
with 'width and 'height on the initial frame whether the backend is
XWayland or Wayland (I haven't tested with a pure X11 window
manager). Specifying the position/size of a new frame seems to work ok
though.

More generally, fixing this is not going to be trivial, as
gtk_window_move under Wayland is designed to cause us grief:

<https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=940916>

so one way to get eg desktop.el to work is to ensure that we know the
required size and position of all the frames before we create them.

Robert