Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 09:19:10 +0000

On Sun 14 Feb 2021, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Andy Moreton <andrewjmoreton@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 18:18:11 +0000
>>
>> > GMP cannot be removed, since we now support bignums, and that's not an
>> > optional feature.
>>
>> However if libgmp is not found, emacs should be using lib/mini-gmp* as
>> the GMP implementation (slower than libgmp but aways available).
>
> So how is that a win? you get the same functionality with worse
> performance.  --without-all is supposed to remove functionality.

The configure help says:
  --without-all   omit almost all features and build small executable
                  with minimal dependencies

So --without-all is doing two things: removing optional features, and
removing dependencies. The GMP feature is not optional, but the
dependency on libgmp is optional.

If libgmp is not available for the target then it is still possible to
build and run emacs (but if libgmp is available for the target then it
should be installed and used).

    AndyM