Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2021 16:42:36 -0500

>> if no one uses it?
> IIUC no one uses --with-x-toolkit=no

I don't know if noone does, but I do think it's one of the targets we
could throw out.  I suspect it would simplify more of the code than
removign Motif, since the no-toolkit is somewhat atypical (has special
events and code for scrollbars, and treats menus differently than the
rest of the code, AFAIK).

> or --without-x builds either,

This is in use, OTOH, typically for headless machines where you don't
want to bother installing the X11 libs, for Termux, and things like that.

There's an `emacs-nox` package in Debian for that, for example.
I don't know how its popularity compares to the `emacs-lucid` package.

        Stefan