Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 23:33:25 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > GMP cannot be removed, since we now support bignums, and that's not an
>> > optional feature.
>>
>> However if libgmp is not found, emacs should be using lib/mini-gmp* as
>> the GMP implementation (slower than libgmp but aways available).
>
> So how is that a win?

Building on a machine for installing on another one. It would be quite
puzzling if Emacs works fine on the build machine but fails outright on
the install machine.

> you get the same functionality with worse
> performance.  --without-all is supposed to remove functionality.

configure --help says:

--without-all           omit almost all features and build small executable
                        with minimal dependencies

If Emacs works without libgmp and libjson, they can't be considered as
part of its minimal dependencies, IMO.