Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Cleaning out old X11 toolkits?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 10:33:32 +0100

>> Then majority of Virtual Private Server instances do not use X, they
>> need just terminal version. On Debian GNU/Linux runned VPS-es I will
>> install often `emacs-nox' package version without X, but too often I
>> need development version, in that case I am compiling it myself with
>> `./configure --without-all' but somebody could choose `no' to the
>> toolkit as well.

> Honestly, I didn't expect anyone to do that.

In distros, it is all about dependencies. :)

Emacs can be configured (e.g., --without-all --without-x --without-json
--without-libgmp) so that it will need only glibc and ncurses:

$ objdump -p emacs | grep NEEDED
  NEEDED               librt.so.1
  NEEDED               libtinfo.so.6
  NEEDED               libpthread.so.0
  NEEDED               libanl.so.1
  NEEDED               libm.so.6
  NEEDED               libc.so.6

(BTW, why doesn't --without-all imply the --without-json and
--without-libgmp options? That's what I would have expected.)