Re: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change command to interactive ... modes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change command to interactive ... modes
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 21:39:31 +0200

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
> Cc: stefankangas@gmail.com,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,  dgutov@yandex.ru
> Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 20:31:01 +0100
>
> > Yes, I disagree that the former is not clear, easy, and maintainable.
> > We've been using similar constructs for years.
>
> That's not quite a response to what I asked: Which one of those syntaxes
> are clearer and easier?  (To read and to write.)

I find both to be of the same level of clarity and easiness of
reading and writing.

> I think it's clear that the new interactive spec leads to commands that
> are easier to read and write than if (virtually all) commands need a
> second (pretty obscure) incantation -- interactive/declare then works in
> concert, and you have to understand both.

I don't think an addition of a 'declare' form makes the function
harder to read, no.

Moreover, I believe many (most?) commands will remain unmarked,
because they make sense in any mode.

So I don't see any significant advantages in using 'interactive' for
this purpose, but I do see disadvantages.