Re: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change command to interactive ... modes

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change command to interactive ... modes
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 14:30:08 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> > Yes, I disagree that the former is not clear, easy, and maintainable.
>> > We've been using similar constructs for years.
>>
>> That's not quite a response to what I asked: Which one of those syntaxes
>> are clearer and easier?  (To read and to write.)
>
> I find both to be of the same level of clarity and easiness of
> reading and writing.

To my mind, if two forms of writing the same thing are equally clear and
easy to understand, the less verbose one is often the better choice.
But I would claim that the more verbose form in this case is less clear
and harder to understand.

It is also more typing, so isn't it obviously therefore also harder to
write?  I'm not talking mainly about the number of keys pressed, which I
think we can agree objectively speaking will be higher, but the amount
of new things you need to learn and remember to write even fairly basic
Emacs Lisp.