version numbers in ELPA

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: version numbers in ELPA
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 12:11:03 -0500

Hello all,

As I'm preparing another release of rt-liberation for ELPA I noticed
that in my code I have:

;; Version: 2.01

...but ELPA displays it, and makes the directories under
~/.emacs.d/elpa, as "2.1".

So when I release 2.02, it will probably turn into 2.2... which might be
confusing if I ever try to release an actual 2.2....

Are there some implicit rules to follow as to how we should number
versions going to ELPA? Are there some explicit rules I just skimmed
over and didn't take note of?

thanks