Re: version numbers in ELPA

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: version numbers in ELPA
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2021 18:51:05 -0500

chad <yandros@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 9:12 AM Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> wrote:
>

>> So when I release 2.02, it will probably turn into 2.2... which might be
>> confusing if I ever try to release an actual 2.2....
>

>  This text implies that you were at least thinking about releasing a
> version 2.2 and expecting users to think that it was something different
> from version 2.02. Is that true, or were you maybe just surprised that the
> leading zero was dropped? If the latter, you're in pretty good company, and
> the help for version-to-list and version-regexp-alist will be helpful. If
> the former... please don't do that? :-)

<please read without taking too seriously>
I was indeed surprised that the zero was dropped; in my head 2.02 is a
different number than 2.2. In fact, Emacs itself tells me that the
difference between 2.2 and 2.02 is exactly... um 0.18000000000000016...
</please read without taking too seriously>

I am in no way complaining or asking for changing anything. Just wanted
clarification. I've already gone ahead and changed the way I version
rt-liberation to simply "X.Y".