Re: [External] : Re: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change...]
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 18:15:40 +0000

Hello, Robert.

On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 18:55:59 +0100, Robert Pluim wrote:

>     Alan> No, not from some other mode.  We're talking about commands shared
> by a
>     Alan> set of modes known only at runtime.  If the list of modes cannot be
>     Alan> updated at runtime, this is a deficiency in the design.

> Iʼm having a hard time thinking of an example, eg you might not know
> which of the modes provided by the cc-mode package the user actually
> uses, but adding all of them to the relevant commands can be done
> beforehand. Can you expand?

No, it can't be done.  There is no list of "all" CC Mode packages.
They're largely created and distributed by third parties, i.e. they're
outside the orbit of Emacs development.  There is no complete list of
them.

For this facility to be general, the list of modes MUST be changeable at
runtime.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).