Re: [External] : Re: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: command mode-specificity [was: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change...]
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 18:20:26 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Hello, Óscar/
>
> On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 17:55:50 +0100, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>> Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:
>
>> > What about commands used by a small number of modes, but that set of
>> > modes is only known at runtime?
>
>> > Are we supposed to amend a command's interactive spec at runtime?
>
>> No.
>
> What, then?  Do you have a positive suggestion?

It would be nice to update the info at runtime, but IMO it is beyond
what is reasonable to ask.

This feature works on the pretense that if a command has a real
potential for being used outside of its mode, it shall not be annotated
as mode-specific. The scenario you described indicates that the
application realm of the command is open-ended.

In the future the system can be expanded so a mode can declare that it
uses specific commands (or all of them) from some other mode, but that
is not required now for the filtering to be effective.