Re: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change command to interactive ... modes

From: Rolf Ade
Subject: Re: scratch/command 064f146 1/2: Change command to interactive ... modes
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 00:57:11 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>

>> > I don't think using 'declare' or a plist can be characterized as
>> > "arduous".
>>
>> I think it is.  We'd be demanding that people learn about obscure things
>> like `declare' just to write a little mode.  That's not good language
>> design.
>
> Neither 'declare' nor 'plist' are obscure.  We use them all over the
> place.  So we will have to agree to disagree about this.

Sure, not obscure. Almost everyone able to write a little mode can look
it up with a few keystrokes, will maybe remember having seen some of the
things mentioned in info node (elisp)Declare Form and all.

To core developers this commands are of course familiar. Not necessarily
for others which are nevertheless able to write a little mode (even if
useful only for themself).

Using declare for adding the feature raises the amount of what I have to
remeber or lookup a little bit if I want to write another little mode.