Re: Current mode command discovery

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Current mode command discovery
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 14:45:59 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Unless "most" means 95% percent or so, and we can disregard the
> remaining 5%, how is it useful to know that "most" autoloaded commands
> are not mode-specific?  We will need to handle both those that are and
> those that aren't, so the fact that commands that are mode-specific
> and yet are autoloaded are a minority doesn't help, does it?

Of course we need to handle them -- that's never been a topic here.

Dmitry asked whether using `put' as the mode specifier would increase
the size of the autoload files significantly (as opposed to how I
implemented it, which is to stick them in the interactive spec slot),
and I said that based on initial tagging, that's not really much of a
concern one way or another, because most ;;;###autoload functions are
global.

I.e., changing the implementation to use `put' won't blow the size of
loaddefs.el up.

So the minority status of ;;;###autoloaded mode-specific commands was
the entire point.