Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the mome

From: Pankaj Jangid
Subject: Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 11:13:17 +0530

Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:

> I am not sure I will switch to a Mac, but I can use one for the moment
> running Catalina (10.15). I know there are several options to obtain a
> running GNU emacs of sorts.

If you simply want to install and not compile then the ports package
name is ‘emacs-app-devel’.

But I use Homebrew. So I just copied David’s work -
https://github.com/caldwell/build-emacs

What I did was - I followed the instructions on the above page. It
installed all the dependencies (using Homebrew). And then started
building emacs from source tar (it downloads from Emacs repo). I
interrupt the build. And instead,

1. Checkout Emacs repository from main git repo
2. ./configure
3. make install

Now the Emacs.app is in nextstep directory.

I know it is kind of rough approach but it saved a lot of time figuring
out and installing dependencies.