Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the mome

From: Matt Armstrong
Subject: Re: installing or compiling GNU emacs on Mac Catalina (fink for the moment)
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 21:10:51 -0800

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> I just checked and it still supports --HEAD as an option. The other options
> do seem to be gone, but it looks like it builds with --with-cocoa
> --with-modules --with-libsvg, though it would be necessary to look at the
> details of the recipe to confirm. I would expect it is built with the same
> options as the binary cask version.

Oh, I do see the use of 'head' in
https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-core/blob/master/Formula/emacs.rb
now.  I don't see --with-cocoa, and it sure looks like --without-ns is a
hard coded option to ./configure in the formula.  The response from the
brew maintainers for those that wanted a GUI version, in the but I
linked to prior, was "use cask", so that suggests that I'm right that
this particular formula is not meant to provide a GUI emacs.  ????  I'm
no homebrew expert, though.