Re: master 12409c9: New transient mode 'repeat-mode' to allow shorter ke

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: master 12409c9: New transient mode 'repeat-mode' to allow shorter key sequences (bug#46515)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 21:44:01 +0200

>>> I don't see the problem: since your code installs the keymap, it can
>>> also arrange to stash the info of which keymap to look up.
>>
>> In
>>
>>   (put 'next-error 'repeat-map 'next-error-repeat-map)
>>   (put 'previous-error 'repeat-map 'next-error-repeat-map)
>>
>> both next-error and previous-error are entry points to
>> a repeatable key sequence, i.e. both can start a key sequence:
>>
>>   M-g n n p ...
>>   M-g p p n ...
>
> I don't understand why you think what I said is related to what you say.
> Some code somewhere installs a transient keymap.  *That* code can do
> some extra work to stash that keymap somewhere else as well so you can
> look it up from there instead of having to check the `repeat-map` property.

The key word is "somewhere".  The first somewhere that installs
a transient keymap in post-command-hook needs to get that keymap.
Currently it gets it from the symbol property of this-command.

The second somewhere is the place where it's already stashed by
set-transient-map in overriding-terminal-local-map.  That keymap
could be checked, but there is no need since it would be easier
just to use the KEEP-PRED arg.