Re: master 12409c9: New transient mode 'repeat-mode' to allow shorter ke

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 12409c9: New transient mode 'repeat-mode' to allow shorter key sequences (bug#46515)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2021 15:53:58 -0500

>> I don't understand why you think what I said is related to what you say.
>> Some code somewhere installs a transient keymap.  *That* code can do
>> some extra work to stash that keymap somewhere else as well so you can
>> look it up from there instead of having to check the `repeat-map` property.
>
> The key word is "somewhere".  The first somewhere that installs
> a transient keymap in post-command-hook needs to get that keymap.
> Currently it gets it from the symbol property of this-command.

Aahhh.... now I understand.

So the `repeat-map` property is actually not redundant: it records which
transient keymap to use after that command and that keymap could
conceivably not include that command.  Also, not all commands in that
keymap should trigger the transient use of that keymap.

I understand quickly but only after a long explanation.
Sorry 'bout that,

        Stefan