Re: [elpa] main 8f4cb59: * elpa-packages (counsel, ivy, swiper): Auto-sy

From: Basil L. Contovounesios
Subject: Re: [elpa] main 8f4cb59: * elpa-packages (counsel, ivy, swiper): Auto-sync.
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 14:33:12 +0000

blc@savannah.gnu.org (Basil L. Contovounesios) writes:

> branch: main
> commit 8f4cb595fb1f34059b22a3f3e0ef71cb310e08d5
> Author: Basil L. Contovounesios <contovob@tcd.ie>
> Commit: Basil L. Contovounesios <contovob@tcd.ie>
>
>     * elpa-packages (counsel, ivy, swiper): Auto-sync.

Sorry, I realised only after the fact that the corresponding externals
in elpa.git had significant local changes in the form of deleted files,
diverging Version headers, etc., so I'm guessing :auto-sync won't work
for these packages.  Should I revert this commit in the meantime?

It gets even more complicated: the existing ivy-hydra.el and the new
ivy-avy.el in swiper.git were apparently designed as optional separate
packages, so I've now created the corresponding external branches in
elpa.git (but not yet added them to elpa-packages).

What is the best way to handle this complexity (that of having multiple
packages provided by a single upstream repository) in elpa.git?

For example, should swiper.git have separate branches for each package's
subtree, so that elpa.git can (hopefully) just fetch and fast-forward to
them automatically?

Should things continue as they are now, with elpa.git deleting files
locally and swiper.git blissfully unaware of the fact?

Either way, it currently looks to me like there will always be manual
merging required in either swiper.git or elpa.git, with no auto-sync,
fast-foward, DTRT option.

Is there a better way, e.g. reverting the local deletions in elpa.git,
keeping 5 full copies of swiper.git as externals (one for each package),
and tightening each package's :ignored-files entry?

Or maybe adding something like MELPA's ability to specify which exact
files to consider from the upstream repository?

I'd be grateful for any guidance in how to proceed with the update of
ivy, ivy-avy, ivy-hydra, swiper, and counsel in elpa.git.

Thanks,

--
Basil