Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2021 18:12:43 -0500

> See also bug#38394.
>
> The reason nearest was chosen was because scaled up pixel art (emojis,
> mostly, like etc/images/smilies/wry.xpm) looked abominable when using
> the "best" filter, but most other types of images look OK when using
> nearest. On the other hand the bug report complains that scaled up
> pixel art looks abominable with nearest, so clearly there's a
> difference of opinion.
>
> I don't know whether "good" is a better compromise, I suspect it looks
> quite like "best".
>
> I don't know what the best option is, I suspect there's no clear
> one-size-fits-all winning strategy.

FWIW, I think there is no perfect solution, and I'm not sure it's worth
the trouble to give much control to the end user.  So I'd go for the
solution which minimizes the frequency of terrible results.

I'd vote for "good" (my experience is mostly with doc-view where I've
found the current "nearest" to be rather poor), but it's not
a strong vote.

        Stefan