Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images

From: Evgeny Zajcev
Subject: Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 23:05:29 +0300

пн, 8 мар. 2021 г. в 21:58, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org>:
On Sun, Mar 07, 2021 at 05:27:44PM -0600, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Evgeny Zajcev <lg.zevlg@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> The reason nearest was chosen was because scaled up pixel art (emojis,
> >> mostly, like etc/images/smilies/wry.xpm) looked abominable
>
> Doesn't it seem like a bad trade-off to improve rendering of smileys at
> the cost of rendering PDF:s worse?  I rarely if ever use doc-view, but
> testing it now seems to produce less than stellar results (i.e. the text
> is barely readable).

This is the first I've heard of any complaints about the rendering of
PDFs, and I don't view them in Emacs. Certainly nobody brought it up
when the change was implemented, so the trade-off wasn't considered.

I don't feel strongly about this. Can someone try the "best" filter
and see if good is an improvement over it? We use best for scaling
down, so if we're happy with best for scaling up then we can just
remove the code that sets it completely. Or go with good across the
board, but best is, y'know, better. ;)

BEST looks even better then good - http://lgarc.narod.ru/pics/upscaled-best.png

comparing to http://lgarc.narod.ru/pics/upscaled-good.png and http://lgarc.narod.ru/pics/upscaled-nearest.png

Is it possible to access image type at the filter application time? in that case we can apply NEAREST for small xpm files and BEST otherwise

--
lg