Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 18:12:34 +0000

On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 02:16:43PM +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Evgeny Zajcev <lg.zevlg@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I vote for "best" everywhere by default, making doc-view shine out-of-box
>
> doc-view can call create-image with :filter 'best, so what's best for
> doc-view is pretty much irrelevant as to what the default should be.
>
> The current default works pretty well for most images (just not on
> text), so I think it makes sense to not change the default.

Attached is a patch that should allow us to set smoothing using
":transform-smoothing t", or nil to disable it and use nearest
neighbour. Also sm in image mode lets you set it directly, and
doc-view will always use it.

I'm not sure about the term "smoothing", but it seemed better than
filter or similar. I dunno.

Anyway, it needs a news entry and documentation written, but I'll do
that later.

--
Alan Third