Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2021 18:04:59 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> There's no single value that will give good results in all cases.
>> Adding a variable to control the default is all well and good, but it's
>> not sufficient.
>
> Neither a variable nor an image attribute?  (I suggested both.)  Then
> what would you suggest to do to resolve this?

Sorry; missed that you also mentioned an image attribute, which would
be fine.

Thinking a bit more about this, I wonder whether a general solution is
kinda-sorta possible anyway.  That is, having a function that returns
what algorithm to use.  We normally want shrinking the image to always
use `best', and enlarging an image slightly to use `good' or `best'
(that's the issue with doc-view, I think? we're rendering at one size
and then enlarging it on HiDPI screens?  I haven't actually debugged
it), and enlarging more than (say) 3x in size to use nearest
neighbour...

Having a variable (that can be a function that returns the algo to
use, or be one of the symbols) would allow us to experiment with this
more easily and see whether we can come up with something that works for
most people out of the box.