Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images

From: Dov Grobgeld
Subject: Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 15:50:08 +0200

Note that there are various smart algorithms for bitmap to contour (svg) tracing. E.g.

http://potrace.sourceforge.net/

But there are others. One idea would be to use potrace for "small" images and pixel interpolation (or nearest neighbor) for large images. The specification for small and large should be settable by the user.

On Tue, Mar 9, 2021 at 3:30 PM Lars Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:
Evgeny Zajcev <lg.zevlg@gmail.com> writes:

> I vote for "best" everywhere by default, making doc-view shine out-of-box

doc-view can call create-image with :filter 'best, so what's best for
doc-view is pretty much irrelevant as to what the default should be.

The current default works pretty well for most images (just not on
text), so I think it makes sense to not change the default.

(And, as Alan pointed out, doc-view really should be smarter about this
stuff, and render the PDF in the size it's going to be displayed at.)