Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images

From: Evgeny Zajcev
Subject: Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2021 12:46:33 +0300

вт, 9 мар. 2021 г. в 12:28, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org>:
On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 11:34:28AM +0300, Evgeny Zajcev wrote:
> вт, 9 мар. 2021 г. в 00:59, Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org>:
>
> > As for default behaviour, I'm inclined to stick with what we have
> > where scaling down uses best and scaling up uses nearest neighbour but
> > any use of :filter (or whatever) over-rides the default. Anyone have
> > an opinion? Do we just want to use best everywhere by default?
> >

> I vote for "best" everywhere by default, making doc-view shine out-of-box

This might be a stupid question, but would it not make more sense to
teach doc-view to generate images that are the correct resolution
already? That would make it look much better than any scaling option.

This will involve many tricks to be added, doc-view uses image-mode to view the image, and user can change (enlarge) window size at any moment, so doc-view must add some handlings for that to regenerate/redisplay images.  Also using larger images makes things slower, then just applying scale filter at display time.

--
lg