Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2021 20:31:40 -0600

Evgeny Zajcev <lg.zevlg@gmail.com> writes:

>> Is there a way to convert from XPM automatically, or are you saying you
>> volunteer to make the SVG:s?
>
> I can write the converter of course, however, there are already fonts with
> colored emojis with "SIL Open Font License" that might be used to get SVG
> emojis.  Is that license suitable?  Or keeping pixel art for old xpm's is
> crucial?

Why not both?  IOW, why not begin by converting the XPM files to SVG,
and then look into if we could use fonts instead?  I think the SVG
conversion would be useful in any case.

IIUC, there should be no issue distributing fonts with Emacs for free
operating systems but there might be some problems on some proprietary
ones.  If this is an insurmountable obstacle, those operating systems
could just continue using the SVG, I suppose.

And even if we can't distribute fonts with Emacs, perhaps we could
detect when these fonts are installed and prefer them when they are?

The SIL Open Font License 1.1 is fine:
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#SILOFL