Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: Image transformation filter for upscaled images
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2021 21:27:03 +0000

On Mon, Mar 08, 2021 at 08:18:21PM +0100, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Alan Third <alan@idiocy.org> writes:
>
> > I don't feel strongly about this. Can someone try the "best" filter
> > and see if good is an improvement over it? We use best for scaling
> > down, so if we're happy with best for scaling up then we can just
> > remove the code that sets it completely. Or go with good across the
> > board, but best is, y'know, better. ;)
>
> The problem is that icons that are scaled up look like fuzzy messes when
> scaled up with "best", I think?  But scaling up text does indeed look
> kinda bad when using the current method.

Indeed, and I doubt they look much better using good, either.

> Text images are usually large, while icons are usually small, so we
> could use some heuristic for switching between the methods.

I don't know, I'd be inclined to go with adding an image option, like
":filter smooth" or ":filter nearest" and letting mode authors choose
what they think is best.

Although I can see that that won't help with the likes of eww where
you just don't know what type of image you're loading.

(Also, I think :filter may be taken, so perhaps just ":smooth t/nil"
or something...)
--
Alan Third