Re: Opportunistic GC

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Re: Opportunistic GC
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2021 14:06:01 +0000

> Pip Cet <pipcet@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Note that none of this is "real" GC: we still mark and sweep, just in
>> a slightly smarter way.
>
> Do you see any significant pros (or cons) to the approach you suggest as
> compared to a generational GC?
>
> Would we want/need to move to a generational GC if we had what you
> describe?

I think generational GC are generally great for efficiency, but for the
kind of application Emacs is and the multi-core world we live in I think
we are more interest in parallelism.

IOW we may be very happy to sacrifice efficiency if we gain in
parallelism and diminish or zero the GC pauses.

Regards

  Andrea