Re: master b21f619: * lisp: Remove yet more always-nil variables

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master b21f619: * lisp: Remove yet more always-nil variables
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2021 14:18:15 -0500

> monnier@iro.umontreal.ca (Stefan Monnier) writes:
>> -    (setq cperl-hierarchy (list l1 l2 l3))
>> +    (setq cperl-hierarchy (list () () ())) ;; (list l1 l2 l3)
> These comments about the now-removed always-nil variables seem a bit
> confusing to me...  Is these any point in having these artefacts in the
> code, or are you planning to remove them in a subsequent sweep?

Since this is made as part of the conversion between dynbind and
lexbind, I'm generally worried about the risk that I removed an "unused
lexical var" which really was an "actually used dynamic var".
So, I prefer to keep the old var's code around, in case some problem
shows up that may point to a missing dynbinding of a var named FOO.

If you want to remove those, feel free, of course, but I have no plan to
remove them in the short term (nor to keep track of them so I'll make
sure I'll remove them in the longer term).

        Stefan