Re: On package-install x package-install-selected-packages

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: On package-install x package-install-selected-packages
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 01:05:52 -0600

Gabriel <gabriel376@hotmail.com> writes:

> On package.el, the 'package-install' calls
> 'package--archives-initialize' to initialize the archive contents, but
> 'package-install-selected-packages' does not calls it, relying on users
> to initialize the archive contents by themselves. I could not find any
> documentation about this difference. Should we modify
> 'package-install-selected-packages' to call
> 'package--archives-initialize' ?

Makes sense to me.  It doesn't seem useful that there should be any
difference with `package-install' in this regard.

> Also, 'package-install-selected-packages' always asks for a confirmation
> to install or not the packages. Can we add an option to skip this
> confirmation ?

Would it be best to add an option, or is it better to add a (prefix?)
argument to `package-install-selected-packages'?

I can only think of the use-case where I would like to call that
function from my Init file to always have things installed (such as on a
new machine), and it seems easier to just pass an argument than to
remember the name of and set an option.  But perhaps you have another
use-case in mind?